Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Let's talk some football

This Friday there will be a clash of the titans or so it would seem to be on paper as the lone remaining team in our coverage area, Ubly (10-0), faces Genesee (10-0) at 7 p.m.

I say on paper, because in their previous two meetings, the Bearcats have owned the Wolves, outscoring them 108-6.
But here is where the disparity comes in or at least some people I have talked to are hoping it will come in...
Based on history, it would appear Ubly wins this one in a cake walk.
However, everything I keep hearing and reading says that this year's Genesee team is to quote fellow TSA member Paul Adams "the real deal." To clarify, Paul has never called the Wolves the "real deal" but it is one of his football catch phrases.
I do think in reading up on this team that their quarterback scares me a little bit. Garrett Cook accounted for all six of his team’s touchdowns against Brown City. On the ground, Cook rushed for 112 yards on 19 totes and had three touchdowns, while adding 173 yards in the air and two TDs on a 9-of-21 passing effort. Cook also scored on an 85 yard kickoff return.
Looks pretty scary. But then I reread the story I wrote on this game for this week's paper and I realize that Genesee still is VERY inexperineced getting their first playoff win since 1999 when they beat the Green Devils last week.
So I think there are a lot of factors out there in determining just how close this game will be. And from some of the people I've been talking to, they are hoping Ubly gets tested, which they felt was an element that hurt them last season...never getting tested until the finals...well let's not relive those memories of that game...
As far as needing a test, I do think that Hudson and Mendon face in a regional final a week from Friday or Saturday, making one of them a very battle tested team heading into the semis. I might feel a little better about the Bearcat's chance in a game against one of them, if they had a challenge or two of their own.
Or is this year's team that good that they likely won't be challenged until say a semi no matter what.
I think the truth lies somewhere in between.
I think Genesee will test this team early and even score a TD or two. But like every game I've seen Ubly play, there coaches have a knack for adjusting and I think that still ends up happening here.
I'm predicting a convincing win. but a quality one that makes the Bearcats a better team heading forward. I'm thinking 44-14 or somewhere in that area, maybe 38-14...

But enough for what I think...we'll let Bill Sweeney tell you what he thinks. Tonight we'll have audio from the coach from an interview I'm doing with him this evening...and tonight or tomorrow we'll have a short preview story to enjoy as well.

**But its not just about football around here, as we'll have some photos and info from volleyball action in Class C from Wednesday and Thursday night.**

Consider this a start of an overhaul here at the blog. We're not going to be satisfied being just "the picture blog" anymore.

No comments: